New in the Release
- A new add-on, DocuShare Virtual Filing System Search Enablement, is available for DocuShare or DocuShare CPX. The add-on provides a search-centric home page and a file cabinet document structure to facilitate finding and accessing documents. For more information, visit the Products section on the DocuShare web site.
- A new DocuShare eForms add-on is available for DocuShare CPX. The add-on enables both DocuShare users and non-DocuShare users to complete electronic forms and submit them to DocuShare for management, sharing, storage, and integration with document routing and workflow capabilities. For more information, visit the Products section on the DocuShare web site.
- More efficient handling of large collections to improve performance. As a result, the following tasks perform in the background:
- Delete collection (Web UI)
- Change the owner of a collection (Web UI)
- Restore collections from the site trashcan (Admin UI)
Note: Restoring a collection from the personal trashcan is a foreground job.
- Expunge collections from the site trashcan (Admin UI)
Note: When expunging groups of objects and the group includes at least one collection, all of the objects are expunged in the background.
- The following operations have been redesigned for optimal resource and memory management: deleting, restoring, and expunging objects; changing permissions; changing ownership; and changing location.
- Improved management of background and foreground tasks to ensure proper utilization of the event system and allocation of memory.
- The verifyindex command line utility verifies that objects in the database are indexed and lists the handles of the objects that are not indexed. After the command runs, you can index those objects that were not indexed.
- The dsserverMem command line utility displays memory statistics of the JAVA portion of the DSServer JVM (Java Virtual Machine) and reclaims memory from deleted objects. The command returns the following:
maxMemory. The maximum amount of memory, in bytes, allotted to the JVM by the operating system.
totalMemory. The total amount of memory, in bytes, requested by the JVM from the operating system. This amount never exceeds maxMemory.
freeMemory. The amount of memory, in bytes, that is free, out of the amount of memory that the JVM requested from the operating system. This amount never exceeds totalMemory.
mem in use. The difference between the totalMemory and the freeMemory (totalMemory minus freeMemory).
The following features were introduced in DocuShare 6.5 and are included in 6.5.3:
- An expanded set of permissions offers additional levels of access to objects and object properties and permissions. An administrator can optionally configure a site to use six permissions for objects instead of three. Release 6.5.2 provides these new permissions: Read Properties, Read Content, Read History, Write Properties, Write Content, and Manage.
- Color schemes called themes allow users to individually customize the look of DocuShare web pages. Four themes are provided.
- Usage quotas enable an administrator to assign limits to the amount of content a user can store on the site. Users can view their assigned quotas.
- Users assigned the DocuShare user level can create scan cover sheets for collections as well as use the Activity History and Change History features.
- Users can edit content rules after they are created. An Edit link on the Properties page for a content rule allows users to make any changes.
- New settings on the Site Configuration page let an administrator enable or disable the Content Map, Show All button, and personal trashcan. By default, the Show All button and the personal trashcan are disabled (off) for both new installations and upgrades.
- A new Permissions page in the Admin UI provides options previously located on the Site Configuration page and includes new options for setting permissions.
- A new access tracking operation, Failed Login, records when a login attempt failed. This operation appears on the Access Operation Tracking page in the Admin UI.
- A new site event queue replaces a previous implementation known as IMQ. A diagevent command line utility enables administrators to perform diagnostics on the event queue. diagevent replaces the diagtool command.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is the default database provided with DocuShare.
- DocuShare index and search functions utilize the Autonomy IDOL Server.
- The idoltool command line utility enables an administrator to configure and manage the IDOL search and index servers.
- The getIndexReport command line utility compares the non-deleted number of each object class with the number of each corresponding object class that is indexed. Refer to the DocuShare Command Line Utilities Guide for details.
- The reindexChangesSince command line utility enables an administrator to reindex a site for objects that have changed or were created after a specified date. Refer to the DocuShare Command Line Utilities Guide for details.
Installation and Upgrade Notes
Supported platforms and databases in DocuShare/DocuShare CPX Release 6.5.3:
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server R2 or SP2 Standard and Enterprise (32- and 64-bit); Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 Standard and Enterprise (32- and 64-bit); VMware ESX Server; Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 5 (32- and 64-bit); Solaris 10.
- Databases: IBM DB2 9.5; Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3; Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition; Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP1; Oracle 10.2.0.x or 11; PostgreSQL 8.3.5.
DocuShare Records Manager
- DocuShare Records Manager is supported on Windows (32- and 64-bit) and Linux (32-bit) platforms only.
MIME Type Assignment Method
- New installations of DocuShare 6.5.3 set the MIME Type Assignment Method to use the file extension algorithm. Upgrades to DocuShare 6.5.3 preserve the existing MIME Type Assignment Method setting. If you are upgrading to 6.5.3 and the MIME Type Assignment Method is set to use the file content algorithm, it is strongly recommended that you change the MIME Type Assignment Method to the file extension algorithm. Using the file content algorithm consumes system resources, which can affect performance. To change the MIME Type Assignment Method, use the Site Management | MIME Types page in the Admin UI.
Upgrades from DocuShare 6.x to 6.5.3
- If you installed DocuShare 6.x in the default installation directory, the DocuShare uninstall program may not be able to rename the uninstall directory (_uninst). Therefore, before upgrading to 6.5.3, rename the <DSHome>\_uninst directory.
Upgrades and DocuShare installation directory on Windows platforms
- When upgrading DocuShare on a Windows platform, do not change the capitalization of the default installation directory (docushare). Doing so will cause the upgrade to fail.
Upgrades and clearing the event queue
Before upgrading to 6.5.3 from releases 5.x and later, ensure that daily and weekly email notifications are sent and cleared from the queue to prevent loss of pending notifications. Use the following procedure and refer to the DocuShare Installation Guide for more information.
- Log into DocuShare as admin and go to the Admin UI.
- Go to Site Management l Access Policies.
- Set the Site Access Authority to Administrator. Click Apply.
- Allow all users adequate time to complete any changes and log off.
- Stop any automated or programmatically generated activities, especially ones that use the Content Intake Manager, Content Rules, or Scan-to-DocuShare services.
- Go to Site Management l Site Operations and change the System Mode to Read Only. Click Apply.
- Go to Services and Components l Subscription.
- Set the Weekly Notification Day to the current day of the week and set the Daily and Weekly Notification Hour and the Daily and Weekly Notification Minute to five minutes from the current time. Click Apply.
- Wait for the designated time to pass and allow adequate time for DocuShare to generate and send the queued email notifications.
- After the emails are sent, go to Services and Components l Subscription and set the Hour, Minute, and Day for Daily and Weekly notifications to their previous values. Click Apply.
property does not appear on Display Sequence page  -
After adding a custom property you need to update the schema to
save the new property to the database.
trace when using the List Workflows page  - A stack trace
occurs when you click the Instantiate, Activate, or Archive button
on the List Workflows page in the Admin UI. However, the workflow
is not affected.
- Deleting the account of a user who owns many objects  - When deleting a user account and the Confirm Delete page indicates that the user owns a large number of objects, do not select Show All to view all the objects the user owns.
- Restart needed after changing default language  - After changing the default language on the Installed Languages page, restart the DocuShare server. Otherwise, all DocuShare email notifications for routing tasks are sent in English.
- Archive Server
- New user cannot find archived content  -
An error may occur when a new user tries to search for content on an Archive Server. This is because it takes a few minutes for the Archive Server to be updated with new account information. Retry the search.
- Changing the DocuShare server domain after an Archive Server is installed  - If you change the default domain of your DocuShare server after installing an Archive Server, you also must change the domain of the Archive Server as the two servers must use the same domain. Then restart the DocuShare server.
- PDF Conversion feature and OpenOffice  - If you are running DocuShare on a Solaris or Windows server and you plan to use the PDF Conversion feature, install OpenOffice version 2.4 or 3.0. If you are running DocuShare on a Linux server and you plan to use the PDF Conversion feature, install OpenOffice version 2.4. Later versions of OpenOffice are not reliable on these servers.
Note: 64-bit versions of OpenOffice are not supported.
- Setting Up X Virtual Frame Buffer to Support OpenOffice on Solaris  - The X Virtual Frame Buffer (Xvfb) allows the X server to initialize and run without the presence of a physical graphics adapter. First verify that Xvfb is available on your system. The default installation directory is /usr/openwin/bin.
- Xvfb :5 -dev vfb screen 1600x1200x32 & (ignore the warning).
- setenv DISPLAY :5.0 (if you are in csh) or
DISPLAY=5.0; export DISPLAY (if you are in bsh).
Note: :5 is recommended for the virtual display setting to avoid conflicts with existing display variables.
documents cannot be converted to HTML - Some documents of formats
supported for HTML viewing may not display fully or may result in
an error. There are limits on what HTML can handle, and some features
or specific files are not yet supported properly by the Autonomy KeyView
software on which the DocuShare HTML Viewing functionality is based.
Approval and Routing
tasks and upgrades - Routing tasks are upgraded from DocuShare
5.x to 6.5.3. If you are using a DocuShare release earlier than 5.x, you should let the routing tasks complete before upgrading.
For more information, contact DocuShare Customer Support.
- Routing for review and assigning permissions  - When routing a document for review to a group and the group has write permission to the document, DocuShare will assign read permission to the group, even if the group members are also members of a DocuShare group (e.g., All Users Except Read-Only) with read permission.
- Additional information for Virtual Filing System not included in User Guide - After VFS is installed, you can configure the site to allow individual users to specify which page appears after logging in. To do this, set Enable Home Page On Login to Yes on the Site Configuration page in the Admin UI. Any user who does not want the VFS home page to appear after logging in, enters the URL to a collection, workspace, or My DocuShare in the Home Page field on his or her Properties page. When the user next logs in, the specified page appears. To go to the VFS home page, the user clicks the Home link on the navigation bar.
- Descriptions of Script and Script Data  - Descriptions of the Script and Script Data fields that can appear on the Advanced Notification page are not provided. Before entering information in the fields, you must create a script and place it in the extension folder of your DocuShare directory. In the Script field, enter the name of the script that you want to run when the event of interest occurs. In the Script Data field, enter any string values that you want to pass to the script when it is called.
- Period character (.) in searches  - Contrary to what is stated in the documentation, the period character (.) is not an alphanumeric character. A search for a document titled Report finds a document titled Report.doc.
- Enabled property for notifications  - Contrary to what is stated in the User Guide regarding usage of the Enabled property to disable a notification, the property was not intended to be used for that purpose and is no longer visible.
- eForms Add-on
- Form attachments not supported - In this release of the DocuShare eForms add-on, adding an attachment to a form is not supported. Although you can create a form that enables managing attachments, DocuShare is not able to process a form with an attachment.
- Installation and Upgrade
- Upgrades from DocuShare 5.x and subscription port number - If you are upgrading from DocuShare 5.x and do not want to use the Tomcat servlet, then you will need to run DSSetup and change the Subscription port number after installing 6.5.3. This ensures that the email messages sent for notifications and content rules provide the correct URL.
- Search finds object and custom objects  - A search for a property unique to an object finds the object and may find any custom objects cloned from it. If the search finds any custom objects, it is because the label of the custom object includes a word in the label of the object class. To find the object only, limit the search by selecting the type of object under Object Types to Search.
- Search may not find objects when WYSIWYG editor is used for Description  - When using some of the WYSIWYG editor features to format the Description property value, a search for the Description property value does not find the object.
- Search for the word document finds more documents than expected  - When searching for the word document in Any Part, DocuShare finds more documents than expected because a document has a handle property with the word document in its property value
- Search for object handle displays more than object  - When running a search using a collection handle (or the handle of other types of containers), the results display more than the collection. Also displayed are the objects located in the collection.
- Use of tilde and case-sensitive searches  - To search for a word with exact capitalization, precede the word with a tilde (˜).
documents cannot be indexed - Occasionally, indexing is unable
to extract some or all of the text from a document. The Autonomy text
extraction libraries used to index file content support a variety
of file formats, but will have trouble with certain files.
returning bad search results - If incorrect search results are
being returned, execute the dsindex command line utility to rebuild
the search indices.
- Web Interface
- Use of WYSIWYG editor with Safari and Opera web browsers  - The WYSIWYG editor provided with the Description field in wikis and weblogs is not compatible with Apple Safari and Opera web browsers.
- Permissions required when multiple users add comments  - A user who has only Read Properties permission to a document cannot add a comment to it if another user has already added a comment. The user who did not add the first comment needs full read and write permissions to the document.
- Refresh required after enabling WebDAV Titles  - When Enable WebDAV Titles is set to Yes in the Admin UI, if users have not yet logged into DocuShare, they must refresh the display before accessing any automatically created folders (for example, a personal collection) using WebDAV.
- Changing permissions when mapped to a DocuShare 6.5 server  - An error occurs when you use DocuShare Client versions 6.0.3 and earlier to change permissions on a DocuShare 6.5 server configured to use three permissions. Either use the DocuShare Web UI to changes permissions or upgrade the Client to version 6.0.6.
Note that DocuShare Client versions 6.0.4 and later do not allow you to change permissions on a DocuShare 6.5 server using the Client interface. Instead, the Client launches the DocuShare Web interface for changing permissions.
- For all other DocuShare Client known issues, refer to the Release Notes displayed in the DocuShare Client installer.
Fixes in the Release
-  The values for custom properties created for the Version object class are saved when entered in the Web UI on the Add Version page.
- Email Agent
-  Two new fields, Proxy Name and Proxy Port, have been added to the Email Agent | Digital Certificate Configuration page in the Admin UI. Specifying a proxy server and port number enables the Email Agent to connect to a Certification Authority when a digital certificate is used.
Information and Support
Click here for any updates to this document.
information regarding DocuShare can be found on the DocuShare web site.